Tuesday, December 12, 2006

The Struggle For Balance

It seems my work as a consultant at times contradicts what I hold most important in my personal life, freedom. It becomes more confusing, though, when friendship is involved. The best example of this, I think, is computer monitoring.

Invariably, one of the first things I have to do when I work with clients is deal with computer usage issues.

If you're working with a start-up company you have to prepare for what problems will crop up. If you're fixing a company, regardless of size, one of the symptoms that must be addressed relates to improper computer use by employees. As much as I hate to say it, the best thing a company can do is use software to monitor computer use.

I would generally say that I don't have any problem with the use of software to monitor the use of computers by children. The only time this has been an issue with me is when I visited with friends recently.

My friends have three kids, in eleventh, ninth and eighth grades. I've developed a relationship with the kids over the years. They trust me; my friends say sometimes they think the kids talk to me more than them.

Because they were concerned about some things the kids were getting involved in, my friends removed the chat program from their computer. When I visited, the little one had found some other software that looked an awful lot like chat to me.

My friends have monitoring software on their home computers now. And I don't have any problem about with having brought the need to their attention.

2 comments:

honkeie said...

What is great about kids is that just when the parents think they have one up on them the kids pull out 2 new tricks.
Keep up or keep out.....their minds are faster than ours lol

Anonymous said...

I understand the need for companies to have software to monitor computer usage. I still hate the idea though. Too much like Big Brother.

However, I'm all for parents doing whatever they have to do to ensure the safety of their children. The world is full of crazies.