Sunday, April 06, 2008

It's Important To Get Off On The Right Foot

I was checking out the news at Yahoo and couldn't help but notice the advertising.

Yes, I remembered my first day at Park College as though it were yesterday. I'd never seen so many beautiful women in one place, ripe for the plucking.

My parents were out of town on a trip planned before we knew when I'd be able to move into the dorm.

So there I was with my buddy Doc, a pharmacology student at Duquesne, getting the lay of the land before we started unpacking the car.

The first thing I did at Park was to shoot a few games of pinball in the snack bar. I won the best of five so we were off to find the nearest bar, and Doc was buying.

A few pitchers of Iron City Beer later it was time to walk back to school and move in. He bought a couple six packs for me to take back to the room; we figured they wouldn't be around long enough to worry about getting warm.

We got off the elevator, each of us with an open bottle, started down the hall and then, we heard it...
Candy came from out on the Island
In the back room she was everybody's darlin',
But she never lost her head
Even when she was givin' head,
She says, Hey babe, take a walk on the wild side
said, Hey babe, take a walk on the wild side,
And the colored girls go ---
Doo, do doo, do doo, do do do...

Yes, Lou Reed was booming out my new dorm room and I was ready to rock.

Park was my roommate's fifth college, so he knew to come early to pick the bed, desk and closet that he wanted. Better yet, he bought a refrigerator and it was fully stocked with booze!!

The second day at Park kicked off with me waking up in the bed of a ballerina. Yes indeed, there was ripe fruit on the low branches and I had a voracious appetite.

We had a delicious breakfast. Then, went to the cafeteria.

As it turned out this that would set the tone for what turned out to be a interesting trek through the world of academia.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do students even has as much fun as this nowadays? I went out with a Uni student back in the UK 11 years my junior, and they all seemed so boring.

I don't know - it's like we forgot how to live...