Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Election Day Started On The Plus Side Of The Ledger


I'll never be a professional gambler in the grand tradition of Hunter S. Thompson. There's one thing that I like to bet on, though, and that's politics.

I woke up this morning to find I'd won my first election day bet. I had money on Barack Obama to win in Dixville Notch, New Hampshire.

Since 1960 Dixville Notch, a town with 75 residents that's located in the Northeast corner of the state, has opened its polls just after midnight. It's become well known as the first place in the country to deliver it's election results.

According to media reports, "a full 100 percent of registered voters" in Dixville Notch cast votes. That's all 21 of them.

I went out on the limb picking Obama in Dixville Notch. A Democrat hadn't won there since 1968, when Hubert Humphrey bested Richard Nixon, and George W. Bush won there twice.

This year, though, Dixville Notch turned blue! Obama won in a landslide, beating McCain 15-6!

No comments: