Monday, June 29, 2009

At The Edge Of My Country, My Back To The Sea, Looking East

"One's friends are that part of the human race with which one can be human."
- George Santayana

We couldn't have hit the road for The Final Road Trip without...


If Al was here today I have no doubt he'd tell you that Bob Dylan was the pre-eminent song writer of the 1960s and that Jackson Browne took the baton and ran with it in the 1970s.

In 2003 Rolling Stone magazine included three of his albums in it's list of the 500 best albums of all time, For Everyman, Late for the Sky and The Pretender.

I've seen Jackson Brown a half dozen times over the years, three times with Al.

The first time we saw him in concert was 1978, the year this video was recorded...



When we were going to school at Park College it wasn't unusual to hear Running On Empty playing in either of our rooms...



Doctor My Eyes from his debut album was a favorite we shared...



Another was the title track from The Pretender...




The last time we saw him was in the mid-90s when he toured in support of Looking East. We both like some of the stuff on that album and I'm Alive which preceded it, but agreed his early work was what we liked best.

Sorry to say, I can't think of a better video with which to close out this post than the title track from I'm Alive...

No comments: