Monday, June 08, 2009

Still Crazy After All These Years

I was planning to hit the road this week with my buddy Al.

Yesterday morning his wife called to say Al had splattered his brains all over their travel trailer.

His cancer had returned and treatment was not something he wanted to pursue, better to save family and friends the pain of dealing with that.

Interesting thing, my buddy's name was Paul. We'd called him Al since the late 80s when Graceland came out, it was his all time favorite album. {You Can Call Me Al}



I'll be attending the memorial service. At this moment I don't have any plans beyond that.

5 comments:

crys said...

I sometimes see your blog as I 'stumble', and have most often enjoyed your musings.
I just had to reply to your blog today about your friend Al / Paul.
I am so sorry.
There is little else to say, except that there are those of us who have suffered great loss of friends or family, and can empathize.
This is so terribly sad.
Some may feel as if no one has the right to end their life.
I cannot say, I will not say it is wrong or right. All I know is that sometimes there is no cure, and sometimes the cure is worse than the disease.
I would like to say once again, that I am very sorry for your loss.

Deb said...

I am so very sorry..StumbleMeister sent this to me..No words can begin to convey how sad I feel for the loss of your friend..Deb (Nightsky4520)

Global Patriot said...

A dear friend of my did something similar, many years ago, and while I understood his desire to end it, the sadness felt by those around him lasted for such a long time, so sad indeed.

Kristi Hines said...

Sorry to hear about your friend. It's such a shock sometimes, even if we know someone is down or depressed to find out they ended it all.

JMom said...

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. Hope you are well.