Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Tears In Heaven {aka The Last Road Trip - Part 5}

I had a long talk with my buddy Al's wife before hitting the road with The Master Baiter.

One of things she asked me to do is to clean up Al's laptop as much as I can. I felt it would be an invasion of their privacy, but she assured me that she has no concern in that area and said it would be a great help to her.

It turns out Al has a file set aside for photographs I shot that he received in email. This is one that has never before appeared in The Gonzo Papers...


Anyone who has been reading this blog for any period of time may know that I don't give gifts on holidays when they're expected.

The last time I saw Al I had a half dozen CDs for him. He accepted them graciously and asked what the occasion was. I responded that it was Wednesday or the 17th of the month or some such thing.

One was Riding with the King, a 2000 collaboration between B.B. King and Eric Clapton that won the 2001 Grammy Award for Best Traditional Blues Album. I picked that one up to bring on this trip.

Over the years Al and I saw both B.B. King and Eric Clapton live in concert.

I can't help but remember seeing Clapton in a late 1990s concert when he toured in support of the album Pilgrim. Among the songs he played on that tour, backed by a symphony orchestra, was Tears In Heaven.

Here's Clapton playing the song at Madison Square Garden in 1999...



B.B. King and Eric Clapton, along with Phil Collins, playing The Thrill Is Gone...

No comments: