Friday, September 25, 2009

Pittsburgh, On Google Earth

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler."
-Jack Lambert

Sunday the Professional Football Hall of Fame released the preliminary list of modern-era nominees for election in 2010. The initial list of 131 will be paired down to 25 semifinalists on November 27th.

Earlier tonight I was working through the list to prepare my prediction of who will make it to the semi-final round. There are several Steelers in the running and I was having a difficult time looking objectively at the candidates.


I started playing with Google Earth and not surprisingly I found my way to Heinz Field, home of the six-time Super Bowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers.

But, then, the Steelers didn't always play at the confluence of the Monongahela and Allegheny Rivers. There was a time they played in the Oakland section of Pittsburgh at Forbes Field, not from from the University of Pittsburgh's Cathedral of Learning.

That's the Cathedral of Learning in the lower right hand portion of this picture and downtown in the distance....


Of course it's the Golden Triangle most people think of first when you mention Pittsburgh.

What makes this view special is that you not only see Heinz Field, but also Mellon Arena. That's it in the foreground, home of the Stanley Cup champion Pittsburgh Penguins....


No collection of Pittsburgh views, featuring Heinz Field would be complete, of course, without the requisite look from the top of Mount Washington....


The view from the other side of the Golden Triangle, with the Allegheny River in the foreground, to me, is one that's seen all too infrequently and it's under appreciated....


One of Google Earth's fun features is the ability to turn on the sun so you can see how the light falls at different times of day. It's most interesting, naturally, when you have the 3-D building feature turned on as well.

This is Pittsburgh at 7:19 AM and then at 7:19 PM...

No comments: