Friday, December 22, 2006

I Can't Believe They Treated Me That Way

Hypocrite is defined as: "a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings". Which brings me to Entertainment Tonight's Vanessa Minnillo.

Vanessa Minnillo "made her mark" by winning a beauty pageant. It's not unusual for women or men to get through life quite well based on their looks. It's human nature and that's fine. What bothers me is when these people hold that up as an example of what is wrong in the world when it is the exact thing from which they are benefiting.

Vanessa is the latest in the line of women seen as beautiful - following closely behind Tyra Banks - who dons a fat suit to see if there will be a difference in the way they are treated by people. I believe the Entertainment Tonight "experiment" {sic} increased Vanessa's weight from about 100 to over 300 pounds. As hard as it is to believe, she didn't get the same type of attention with the suit on as she does normally.

It didn't bother me when she pretended not to know this would happen. It didn't surprise me that Entertainment Tonight rode the story night after night. It fulfilled my expectations when she talked about how sorry she felt for people who are looked down on and cast aside because of their looks.

What bothers me is that they are playing this ridiculous game again. Now Vanessa is doing her skit imitating the character from the new tv series Ugly Betty. Yet again, Vanessa can not believe the difference in how people treat her. People don't break their back to help her; they don't bend over backward until their head hits the floor to accommodate her; she can't get into the nightclub with the other beautiful people. Her voice cracks as she talks about how it breaks her heart; the crocodile tears flow.

If you're going to prostitute yourself to make a living, you should stand up and be counted as a whore.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gweneth Paltrow did that when she filmed 'Shallow Hal', she donned her fat suit and went amongst the public and indicated suprise when people would not meet her eyes or speak with her.

Anonymous said...

One of our daughters had Gastric Bypass Surgery, so these kinds of gimmick shows really hit home. They shouldn't surprise anybody. It's the hidden prejudice no one will acknowledge, but it's very real.

PS. Gonzo, it's kinda nice to see a real post sandwiched in between all your PPP. ;) Having fun playing with your new toy, eh?

Anonymous said...

Hiya Kilroy

Hope you're well! I've been busy recently, with one thing or another, and am taking time out from my busy old life to say happy Christmas to my blogging friends!

I totally agree with you over this one - people don't always realise how differently they behave towards a 'beautiful' person, and one not so well endowed. But we all know that it is so. We know the prejudice exists, so there should be no surprise.

You know I've just gone bald with my head shave? Well, I expected people to behave differently towards me, and even with a hat on, people can still guess I've got a bald head, and you can see the looks going on... either 'poor thing has cancer' or 'oh my god, what does she look like?'

I don't mind, because I psyched myself up to it for two months... but it goes to show, people can't help but think stuff, that can't help but show in their faces - as you say, it's society!

Anyway, I came full of good holiday cheer, so I wish you a

Very Merry Christmas
and a
Happy and Peaceful New Year!!


I hope you have a lovely time, and that you get some of your wishes and dreams fulfilled!

Anonymous said...

AMEN! ~M