Thursday, December 07, 2006

The Long And Winding Road

"To be a book-collector is to combine the worst characteristics of a dope fiend with those of a miser." - Robertson Davies

--------(-)--> The Pittsburgh Steelers dished out one super size serving of whop ass to the Cleveland Browns tonight...making it a good year in The Steel City.

--------(-)--> The easiest "good deed" in the world is holding a door open for someone. It amazes me that people always seem so surprised. If I see someone coming behind me, more times than not I will stop, hold the door open, and wait for them to come through. Not only can you see the look of surprise on their face, they normally start walking faster as though I'll walk away and let the door close. I don't understand why holding a door for other people is not common.

--------(-)--> I love the new Tom Waits album Orphans, Brawlers, Bawlers and Bastards...and Will Smith's movie The Pursuit of Happiness.

--------(-)--> Being Pearl Harbor day, I'll share an experience I had last week. I pulled up to a gas pump; the car in front of me had a World War II Veteran license plate. I took a minute to talk to the gentleman. He told me that he is 86 years old. He was in the Navy before the war started and still when it ended; he served in the Pacific. I put out my hand, saying I want him to know that people appreciate what he did. He shook my hand warmly and thanked me. He told me that people normally never say anything. I paid to fill my tank and his.

--------(-)--> Master Baiter came in one weekend to see a Jackson Browne concert at the local convert pavilion. We got lost on the way to the show. Finally we pulled off for directions, at a driving range. I was on my way out to the car when Master came in to see what was taking so long. After getting directions, I bought a putter. Not something you do in a minute. 8-D

--------(-)--> I go to an interesting miniature golf course. It's not what normally comes to mind when you think of putt putt. The putting surface is grass...twisting and turning...with high grass and higher grass serving as obstacles.

--------(-)--> Last weekend I watched "Thunder Bay" with James Stewart. He's one of my all-time favorite actors. I made a quick list of 13. Along with Stewart, Jack Nicholson, Dustin Hoffman, Al Pacino, Robert Duvall, Robert DeNiro, Paul Newman, Jack Lemmon, Morgan Freeman, Denzel Washington, Tom Hanks, Clint Eastwood and John Wayne.

-------(-)--> My 2008 Presidential pick, Colin Powell.

2 comments:

bulletholes said...

i came home from work one evening back before the First Gulf War... we were just getting geared up to deploy into Saudi... my wife Shila says to me "You have to watch the news .... the guy that will be the first Black President will be on..you are gonna love this guy,Steve" she was right, and if he runs I will vote for him. My brother is a West Point grad.

Anonymous said...

I love to have a door held for me and gladly return the favor when possible. I always thank the person, especially a young person. However, once a woman jumped all over me because I didn't open the door for her and her stroller. It was the strangest thing to be attacked for being absent-minded. I never expect the courtesy--I only appreciate it when offered.

Good taste in actors since you include some of my favorites. I reckon I would keep the same list but add Gregory Peck & Robert Redford.

My Presidential Pick: John Edwards, Evan Bayh or nearly anyone but Hillary.