Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Fear And Loathing In Key West

"A day without fun is a day
that eats shit."

- Hunter S. Thompson


Photograph by Kilroy_60

There wasn't much time for blogging in March. I spent an inordinate amount of time working with GoIrish! to put in place a crisis intervention plan at Widget Manufacturing.

Day-to-day operations in Widget Manufacturing's executive offices are dramatically different today than they were on 1 March and there's more change to come.

We succeeded in keeping all the hourly personnel working and no managers were cut. A number of managers were reassigned when we did some initial restructuring and their jobs look to be safe for the foreseeable future.

That's not to say everyone bought into the first round of changes without objection, or that managers who have different assignments today than they did a month ago transitioned smoothly.

In fact, there was one heated meeting that ended with me opening a window and shooting out the back tires on one Vice President's Porsche Carrera GT. Let's say I didn't take well to him bitching about taking a pay cut when I volunteered to waive my fee, partly to save his job.

About a week and a half ago GoIrish! asked TheSpecialOne and me to join him and his wife for dinner. It turned out they wanted to thank me for, what GoIrish! described as, going above and beyond the call at Widget Manufacturing.

My reward was a week for two at The Westin Key West Resort and Marina, a gift of cash equal to a fee for 40 billable hours with no discount applied and transportation there and back on his private jet.

Key West is known for it's celebration of sunsets and we had a front row seat. This was the view from our room...

Photograph by Kilroy_60

It was a great week to be sure and we're both looking forward to going back.

Another time I'll have to write more. Time now to close out, though, as I'm going to draw a bath for TheSpecialOne.

Cheers

4 comments:

Leanderthal, Lighthouse Keeper said...

Frank sang, 'Nice work if you can get it and you can get if you try.'

Clearly, you tried. Nice work.

Why don't I believe the tire shooting part?

Kilroy_60 said...

The V.P. didn't believe I'd shot his tires out either. That didn't make them any less flat. Ho Ho

Truth be told, that as much as anything, I think, led GoIrish! to treat me to the week away. He felt the pressure of fixing Widget was getting the best of me.

Tumblemoose said...

Oh, Mr. K - I totally believe the tire thing. In fact, I'd be disappointed to find out it wasn't true.

I hope you said Hi to Mr. Buffett while you were there - and I don't mean Warren.

George

Global Patriot said...

As this story demonstrates, there are times when gunfire is required to get a point across - it tends to get people's attention!