Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Last Road Trip - Part 4

I think... A sunset shared, with the right person, can be a spiritual experience.
- Kilroy_60
17 July, 2007

Photographs by Kilroy_60

The first time I went to Al's house he dropped the needle on a David Bromberg album.

It was the 1972 release Demon in Disguise; an album that featured tales of traveling with Jerry Jeff Walker and a seven-minute rendition of Mr. Bojangles.

I saw David Bromberg in concert with Al three times. So, naturally, I made a point of including Bromberg in the soundtrack for our last road trip, The Player: A Retrospective.

The Dyin' Crapshooter's Blues is a tune both Al and I liked, but it's not on this CD. Check it out...



We're getting closer to a location that will be appropriate to spread Al's ashes. While I feel that's true, I still don't have any idea where it's going to be.

Al was a huge fan of sunsets.

I couldn't count how many times over the years that we pulled off the road or he stepped out of a party to watch the sun go down.

When he bought property to build a house one of his top criteria was a spot where he'd have a good view of sunsets in his living room's picture window.

Needless to say, The Master Baiter understood why it was important to me to catch this sunset last night. It came, seemingly, as a tribute to our friend as we take our last road trip....

1 comment:

Nora said...

Hey! It would be great if you listed all the songs in your tribute to Al....Als' Music...for the road....