Friday, June 26, 2009

The Last Waltz



The Last Waltz, by legendary director Martin Scorsese, ranks as one of the greatest Rock 'n' Roll movies of all-time.

In fact, The Last Waltz is considered by some to be the greatest concert film ever made.



I've made reference a number of times to "the Soundtrack" for The Last Road Trip. In that vein, if there's a soundtrack for my life it would have to include a number of cuts from The Last Waltz.



Over the past 30 years I've seen The Last Waltz in movie theaters a half dozen times and with friends in our homes more times than I can count.

I'd imagine albums and CDs of The Last Waltz rank among the gift I've given to friends more than any other over the years.

When it was released on DVD early in this decade I picked up a copy for myself and a number of friends.



It warmed my heart when I earlier tonight that The Last Waltz was one of the DVDs Al carried in his rig.

We've been listing to the soundtrack, as it was a must have for The Last Road Trip, but seeing the movie was something I won't forget any time soon.



We went through a case of Coors, a bottle of Jack Daniels a quarter ounce of BC Bud and two boxes of nitrous oxide canisters tonight. At the moment I'm not feeling any pain.



I'm feeling conflicted about whether we're doing the right thing looking for an appropriate spot in the Rocky Mountains for Al or whether taking him to the Pacific Ocean would be better.

The Master Baiter's going to make a few calls later to see about arranging a flight.

1 comment:

Michael K. Willis said...

Good one. I'm not really a big fan of concert movies but I love "The Last Waltz". They've gotten into my wallet more than most pop culture items can. I bought the soundtrack on LP back in the day and I got the movie on VHS...they were among the first that got "upgraded" to CD and DVD and when they put out the 4-disc soundtrack CD set they got me yet again (I haven't bought into blu-ray yet but if and when I do they'll probably get some more coin from me then...)