Saturday, June 27, 2009

Rocky Mountain High {...The Last Road Trip - Installment 8}

"I value the friend who for me finds time on his calendar, but I cherish the friend who for me does not consult his calendar."
-Robert Brault


{The story of...} The Last Road Trip - Installment 8

Before The Master Baiter and I set off with Al I conducted a detailed analysis of where things stand with each of the high profile projects I'm working on with clients.

I sent out a number of emails to appropriate personnel that would set new activities in motion, related to top priorities in each company, and fill any void created by my absence.

This has become standard operating procedure when I'll be traveling for an extended period.

While we were pulled off the road in Dodge City, Kansas last weekend I followed-up with key personnel at each of my client companies to update status reports, determine an appropriate course of action, to address immediate needs, and establish action items and target dates.

Once I had my ducks in line the next call was to Al's wife at La Alegría.

I let her know that The Master Baiter and I had considered New Mexico and Texas, but decided the best course of action would be to go Rocky Mountain High. She was pleased with that decision.


I did not give a second of forethought to the amount of time that would be required to find an appropriate place to spread Al's ashes. {Make that the Right place.} It was simply something that needed to be done without compromise.

What became apparent rather quickly is that we're not likely to find the Right place if we do nothing but cruise along the interstate highway system.

Part of the joy of traveling, when you do so simply For the joy of traveling, is Experiencing the trip as much as possible. That's something Al and I thrived on and we were looking forward to when we talked about taking a trip.

(As I write I'm listening to...)



When we came to Colorado I was sure we would find what we are looking for. After a few days, though, I began to question whether we were doing the right thing.

Al and I always enjoyed going to the mountains, but neither the Alleghenies nor the Blue Ridge compare with the Rockies.

While we never went to the beach together, both of us loved the time we spent at the seashore. I began to wonder whether it would be better to explore the Pacific Coast than the Rocky Mountains.


The Master Baiter made a few calls and was able to connect with a friend who agreed to fly us from Grand Junction Regional Airport to Arcata/Eureka Airport in Humboldt County, California.

Whether that friend thought I took him seriously or not when he said, "Call me any time" after we went to Perdido Key, Florida back in January I don't know, but it Worked.

Years ago my fraternity brother, LeadGuitar, moved to Humboldt County and began cultivating marijuana. He was the first one to school me in the art of growing and he puts out a crop comparable to K60 bud.

I expect we'll be here for a day or two and then will hit the road. That's all for now, I have to spin another number and grab a bite to eat.

Photographs by Kilroy_60

1 comment:

Global Patriot said...

I love the idea that you start with, that making time for someone is not about finding a spot in the calendar. Sad to say that life has become so busy that we (myself included) rely on a calendar to schedule friendship. I'm thinking that's a habit we should strive to break, and simply be there when needed.