Thursday, July 02, 2009

Rockin' The Golden State

"We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey."
- Kenji Miyazawa


Writing this post a few minutes after 3 a.m. in Sonoma, California, drinking Jose Cuervo Especial Gold Tequila.

We'll be in California for, at most, four more days.

If we don't find the Right spot to spread Al's ashes we're headed back to Colorado to check out the Grand Junction area.

We're looking for a spot along California State Route 1, in an area that stretches from Mendocino County to Monterey County. Al was never a fan of Los Angeles and Monterey County is as far South as I want to go.

It's also, logistically, what works best for us.

The Master Baiter has a client who owns homes in Eureka, in Humboldt County, and Carmel-by-the-Sea, in Monterey County, and he lent us a car to use while we're here.

Not just "a" car, but a 1963 Cadillac Coupe DeVille Convertible. As I wrote in a previous post, it's the type of car Al was a big fan of and we're hoping it helps us get to where we want to be for him.

The Coupe is also perfect for living, Life In The Fast Lane...



As we work our way along Route 1, going South and at times back North to check out some spots more than once, I don't know whether we'll be closer to Eureka or Carmel-by-the-Sea when the time comes to leave. Either way it won't be difficult to connect with our pilot at one of the community airports.

Today we made a side trip while we were in Sonoma County. We've found it's helpful to get off the road and The Master Baiter wanted to introduce me to a friend of his who lives not far from Lake Sonoma.

Photograph by Kilroy_60

I have a handful of clients to whom I need to send email (tonight). Once I finish that up I'll be getting a few hours of sleep, then heading back out on the road.

Tonight I'm listening to The Eagles as I write, namely, Tequila Sunrise...



When I pulled out Al's bottle of Jose Cuervo I, admittedly, knew exactly what music I was going to play.

When I went shopping for CDs to bring on this trip I picked up three by The Eagles, Hotel California, When Hell Freezes Over and Selected Works 1972-1999.

It's great listening to this one, which is a song I've never tired of, Take It To The Limit...



The same goes for, Desperado...



Al and I saw The Eagles in concert twice; once in the mid-70s, when Joe Walsh joined the band, and then again 20 years later. The Master Baiter was at the mid 1990s show with us.

I can say, without qualification, when we heard this song the first time, on the tour in support of Hell Freezes Over, it became one of our all-time favorites, Get Over It...



I leave you for now with, Hotel California...

1 comment:

honkeie said...

Too cool and sad all in the same breath. I dont know about your friend but if I had a say in what to do with my ashes...I would have part of them crushed, superman style, and made into a diamon. and the rest put in a grenade. Have the pin pulled and tossed into a barrel on monkeys....man what more fun could one ask for?