Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Willie Nelson, An American Treasure


Six words. That's the shortest email Al ever sent me.

I remember it so clearly because it came with a link attached, to a YouTube video of Toby Keith performing, I'll Never Smoke Weed With Willie Again...



The email read simply, "Reminds me of this damned K60Bud."

Al and I saw Willie Nelson play live in a wider diversity of settings than any other artist. It says a lot about Willie, I think, that we saw him play at Farm Aid, a community auditorium, a ribfest and a bar.



Every time we went to Willie Nelson concerts that first song he played was Whiskey River...



The last time we saw Willie he played Superman and it became one of our all-time favorites...



The highest profile show, of course, was Farm Aid...



Speaking of Farm Aid, check out John Prine...



Whether it was when we were in college, on the way to Champaign, Illinois or any of the other dozens of times we went out on the road, Al and I were listening to...



It's odd how I can remember talking to Al about wanting to be cremated and have a memorial service, but have absolutely no recollection of any conversation that related to spreading his ashes. Selah.

One thing I'm certain of, when people attend my memorial service they'll hear Willie Nelson doing Amazing Grace, just as we did at Al's...



Thanks, Willie Nelson, for all the great memories.

2 comments:

Jay Zuck said...

That was a pretty cool collection of good ole Willie!

Michael K. Willis said...

Excellent clips. Willie continues to get my vote as the coolest guy on the planet :-)